Master Wayne Baker 6th Dan Karate, 3rd Dan Kickboxing
Senior & Master Instructor for SESMA
Master Wayne’s parents are from Sheffield but he was born in Norwich in 1971. His parents tried to have him delivered over the Yorkshire boarder so that the may play cricket. Luckily Master Wayne is not keen on cricket. Wayne started karate at a club (Eastern Region Karate) near to where he lived when he was 9 and achieved his Black Belt with English Korean Karate Assoc E.K.K.A at 16.
Master Wayne became very interested in the competition side of martial arts and has won many local, national and international competitions. Master Wayne has represented England 4 times in Karate (Gold-England, Gold-Italy, Silver-America and Bronze in the European Championships-Germany) and he has also competed in semi & full contact kickboxing tournaments.
Wayne has been invited to Australia to teach Sport Karate and give workshops on Anti-Bullying. While he was there, he met up with David Koutsoukis and they adapted the Six Kinds of Best programme to be used within martial art schools here in England and Australia.
Master Wayne was presented his 6th Dan December 2014 after turning the award down for 2 years. He believes that the higher Dan grades need to be much more than just serving the time needed for the grade. It is more about what you have accomplished for martial arts during that time. Wayne wasn’t happy to be a 6th Dan until he felt that he had given back to the community and become an inspirational role model not only to his students but also the SESMA instructors and instructors of other schools.
Master Wayne was selected to represent the Great Britain team at the 2017 World Martial Arts Games in Florida America and came home with 3 Silver Medals in Kata and World Champion in Kmite.
After over 20 years retirement from competitive martial arts, this is a great achievement.
He has further been selected to represent Great Britain in the 2018 European Championships and 2018 World Championships to be held in Jamaica.
Master Wayne has also become Eastern and Southern area coach for the GB Team.
SESMA was awarded the “Spirit of Martial Arts” award at the 2017 NEST awards for their outstanding work and contribution to the community and and their antibullying work.
What does Master Wayne enjoy most about martial arts?
Even though he have been teaching over 25 years, Master Wayne still loves teaching and finds it very rewarding. He believes that he is helping people to improve themselves, whether it be more coordination, confidence, respect/discipline or fitness. Wayne enjoys meeting new people and visiting schools to deliver our Anti-Bullying and Confidence Building workshops.
Master Wayne is has also rediscovered his love for competitions after a 20 year lay off from the competitive side to martial arts.
For SESMA to be further recognized as an asset to the community by continuing work with schools and the local police. Wayne would also like to help more children that have learning or physical challenges to find and achieve their potential in sport.
To raise more money for Danielle’s Wish to help children with disabilities take part in sport.
Likes and Dislikes
- Fitness Challenges
- Spending time with friends
- Those that waste their potential
- Cycling in the wind
- Master Instructor
- SESMA/BBA Teaching Certificate
- Diploma in Recreation & Leisure
- Safeguarding and Protecting Children
- First Aid (St.John’s) & Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Anti-bullying & Confidence Building Coach
- National Life Skills Coach
- RSDA Personal Safety Instructor
- Cycle Trainer in Schools
Some of my greater achievements
- World Karate Champion.
- GB Coach
- England International Squad member.
- European Bronze medal, Germany.
- Team Gold medal, Italy.
- Team Silver medal, America.
- Gt.Britain Team Gold medal, England.
- E.K.K.A National Team Gold, 3 Yrs.
- E.K.K.A National Gold medal, 2yrs.
- E.K.K.A Kata Gold medal.
- E.K.G.B National Silver medal.
- Norwich City Council Award for Out-Standing Sporting Achievement.
- E.K.K.A Student of the Year.
- Martial Arts illustrated Magazine Martial Artist of the Month.
- Undefeated Amateur Boxer.
- Twice Lads Club Fighter of the Night.
- E.K.K.A Team member at the 4th National Clash of the Titans.
- N.A.K National Semi -Contact Champion.
- Dance performance at the Norwich Theatre Royal.
- Spirit of Martial Arts Award by NEST
Some of my personal achievements since hitting 40 (mid-life crisis?)
- Completed the 3 Peaks Challenge
- Spartan Sprint Challenge
- Bamford Fell Run x2
- Fritton XC 1/2 Marathon
- Peak District Challenge (Copper & Bronze)
- Norwich 100m Cycle
- Norwich Cycle Swarm 70m
- Tour de Broads 78m cycle
- Yorkshire Wolds 123km Cycle
- Peak District 49m cycle challenge