The SESMA Studio is the Life Skills centre for the Norfolk education area and is 1of 3 in the Suffolk area. Life Skill instructors will assist local schools in the teaching of the PSHE classes.
The programme itself is a personal safety and communication skills course, designed to be conducted in schools as part of the PSHE curriculum.
Benefits of the programme for the children include:
- Increased awareness – when it comes to managing personal safety.
- Enhanced confidence – in social environments.
- Improved Communication Skills – peer to peer and with adults.
- Improved self-esteem – an ability to work in a team.
- Avoid potentially dangerous situations:
Awareness of your surroundings e.g. Fringe areas
- Communicate with confidence:
Awareness of the different ways we communicate with each other.
Exercises in; verbal exchange, facial expressions, eye contact, hand movements and gestures, walking style and upper torso posture.
- Assessing the enemy:
Defining an enemy – identifying a stranger or bully.
Reacting to an enemy exercise – “be calm and breathe”
- Tricks and lures:
What is a trick/lure? – scenario acting exercises.
- Use your body:
“Use your mind” e.g. Always walk in well lit areas
“Use your words” e.g. What could you say to stop them?
“Use your legs” e.g. When to run